To add to the comfort and welfare of the hospital patients by providing volunteer services assistance, equipment and funding to the Penticton Regional Hospital.
To provide services and comforts to the residents of Penticton and area as approved by the Board of Directors.
About the Auxiliary
The Auxiliary to the Penticton Regional Hospital Society has been serving Penticton Regional Hospital for over 100 years. It was initially started after a typhoid outbreak in 1913. Patients were placed in tents near the former nursing home on Fairview Road and Mrs. C.A.C. Stewart formed the Ladies’ Aid to Penticton Hospital to improve patient comforts. In 1915 the hospital was moved to Haven Hill and and the group helped in many projects including assisting in a flu epidemic as well as providing linen supplies to a hospital ship in World War 1. In 1927 they provided they provided furnishings and equipment for the new nurses’ residence and operated a panel truck as an ambulance service. In 1953 a new hospital was built and the Ladies’ Aid was changed to the Hospital Auxiliary.
Projects currently supported by the Auxiliary are: The Care Closet, Breakfast Learning Club, Meals On Wheels, Youth Volunteers and purchasing equipment for the hospital.
Some interesting facts about the Auxiliary:
High School Burseries
The Auxiliary supports the Youth Volunteer Program. Currently there are over 40 participants in this program. We awarded two $1500 bursaries to students going into the health field. Last year the two recipients were from this group. Information regarding bursaries can be found at Penticton Secondary School and Princess Margaret Secondary School, information can be found at each school.
Our fundraising has been very successful this year.
Canadian Mental Health Association
The Penticton Hospital Auxiliary made a donation to the Canadian Mental Health Association for their new water system at Unity House, as well as an additional donation later in the year so they could purchase winter tires for their van. They were very grateful for our support.
David E. Kampe Tower Equipment
The Hospital Auxiliary has recently completed their pledge for the purchase of equipment for the David E. Kampe Tower.
The Auxiliary applies for Community Gaming Grants. Funds awarded are used to purchase patient comfort items and support programs for various hospital departments. Among the items provided this year are new chairs for oncology, a BBQ for Westview, a motorized wheelchair for rehab and clothing and shoes for patients in Emergency.
David E. Kampe Tower
The Hospital Auxiliary has recently completed their pledge for the purchase of equipment for the David E. Kampe Tower. We would like to thank the businesses and residents of Penticton for supporting of our fundraising projects allowing us to complete our five year pledge in three years. The mammography room will be named for us.
Such events like Take An Old Bag to Tea, West Jet Raffle, our Gift Wrapping station in the mall during Christmas Holidays and the Gingerbread House contest, were a few that were carried out with great success. The conveners of these events all express their gratitude to the people who volunteered to make these events a great success.
About the Auxiliary
These images were published in the Penticton Herald.